Sunday, April 23, 2017

My favorite Nintendo games

Nintendo recently announced it is discontinuing its classic console. I have always been a huge video gamer. My grandma owned a Nintendo and growing up I spent hours playing games on it. My favorite thing to do with her was going to the mall. She sometimes bought me a video game or she would let me spend ten bucks at the video arcade. I will list my favorite games below.

1. Bases Loaded


This was the first of four in the series. I loved this game because the graphics were pretty advanced for that era. Control of the players left a lot to be desired however. I have been watching a playback of this game of YouTube. I didn't realize how long it takes to beat the game. I guess I never fully beat it. Typically a single game takes roughly half an hour. To win the pennant you have to win 80 games. The playback is split into 5 parts and totals 36+ hours. Another glitch in this game is that you can use the same pitchers game after game with no real consequences. The strike zone is pretty unrealistic with a pitch thrown on one side of the plate called a strike but a ball if thrown the other side of the plate . I don't know if this is the case just with the team that is featured on YouTube, but after the sixth inning you can switch pitchers and threw opposing team will not saying the rest of the game. This is also unrealistic to the real game. Anyway I miss this game.


2. Bases Loaded 2





Similar to the first Bases Loaded game but with slight improvement in how well one could control the player. It is harder to bat in this game. There are more options to choose from in terms of lineup. In Bases Loaded 1, you were stuck with the lineup the computer set. Bases Loaded II also has more pitchers who have designated roles (starter/reliever). NY is the strongest team in this game, I like how the game transitions much faster between batters.  The ball moves faster off the bat. For the time, this game is advanced in terms of graphics. The music in this game is better than Bases Loaded I.

3. Bad News Baseball




















Developed by Tecmo, a Japanese video game developer, Bad News Baseball is a little leaguer's dream. There are 12 teams who wear the same colors as Major League counterparts. Every player has different strengths and characteristics that define them. To beat the game, one must defeat every team in any order. Graphics and music are great. Some players are prone to errors. Controlling players was easy. Players could dive for balls or jump up to catch a ball. One downside to the game is players will freeze once they control a ball and the only option is to throw it. Another game that was above average for its time.

4. Super Mario III








The third of three games in this series is the most dynamic in terms of how super hero Mario can transform. Much like the other two games in the series, the goal is to save the princess while defeating various levels and monsters trying to stop Mario. Mario has the ability to fly. throw spitballs and hop like a frog among other things. Like Mario I there is a time limit of 3 minutes (easily achievable for the most part) Music is catchy.

5. Super Mario I




















In the first game of the series, Mario must save the princess by conquering 8 worlds and various enemies that can kill Mario. The player starts with three lives and can increase that number during the game, There is a 300 second time limit (plenty of time to finish a level). At the end of each world, Mario must defeat a boss only to be told the princess is not in the castle. I think this is the easiest of the three games.  It is also the least dynamic in terms of weapons and character possibilities

6. Super Mario II


The second of three in the series, Super Mario II is the hardest and most diverse of the trilogy of Nintendo games. Players could play with one of four characters: Mario, Luigi, the princess or toad. Each character had its own strengths/weaknesses/characteristics. To win the game the player must defeat 20 levels and seven worlds. I had a lot of fun with the game and primarily played as Mario, Luigi or the princess.

I played many other games but these are my top 6.. It is possible to play classic Nintendo games online by googling it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home